Gromor Lime. Lime is something that people underestimate in a garden environment. We are happy to fertilize but do not often use lime. In South Africa and especially Natal, the soils are often acidic. The best way to check this would be a soil sample to Cedara or another suitable institute. However, if you only apply Lime once a year or every second year, you are bound to reap the benefits. Excessive use of granular fertilizers will cause soil acidity. You will note an improvement in soil health when using Lime. The first thing you will notice is a return of earthworms. PLEASE NOTE: Do not use Lime on acid loving plants like Azaleas, Camellias and Hydrangeas.
Apply a basal dressing of 200 grams per square metre when preparing new areas for planting. (1 handful weighs approx. 60g). NB: DO NOT apply to areas to be planted to acid loving plants e.g. Azaleas, hydrangeas.
Granular Fertilizer Golden Rules:
- Use only as stipulated. (30 or 50 grams is not as much as you think.)
- More is not better. Once you have applied it you cannot reverse the process.
- Over application leads to serious problems and is irreversible.
- Store in a cool dry place.
- Keep away from pets and children.
- Choose the right fertilizer for the right application.
- Fertilizer works best when there is heat and water. Results are poor in winter.